Problem with scala.bat from sbaz

Stefan Matthias Aust
Is it just me, who's all these strange problems?  When I try to run
scala.bat from latest sbaz, I get

  C:\dev>c:\sbaz\bin\scala.bat -version
  Das Sprungziel - add_cpath wurde nicht gefunden.
  Das Sprungziel - add_cpath wurde nicht gefunden.
  Das Sprungziel - add_cpath wurde nicht gefunden.
  Das Sprungziel - add_cpath wurde nicht gefunden.

(the call's target ":add_cpath" cannot be found)

The really strange thing is, that if I edit the bat file and remove a
few of the "#" in the line above the ":add_cpath" label, it works. So it
seems that cmd.exe cannot find the label if there's a line that's too
long. If it contains "rem " plus 69 "#", it works, but with 70 "#", it
fails...

Wait, I think, the problem is that the bat files have Unix-style line
endings and not the DOS-style line endings which is presumably required
by cmd.exe.

Stefan Matthias Aust

Re: Problem with scala.bat from sbaz

Stéphane Micheloud
Strange indeed!

Here is the behavior on my Windows machine:

C:\Program Files\Scala> c:\Progra~1\Scala\bin\sbaz.bat -version
Scala Bazaars command-line client version 1.13 -- This file is copyrighted by
its owner

C:\Program Files\Scala> c:\Progra~1\Scala\bin\scala.bat -version
Scala runtime version 2.1.3 -- (c) 2002-2006 LAMP/EPFL
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)

C:\Program Files\Scala>

Note that in the Windows distribution all batch files (*.bat) are
in DOS format and all script files (for Cygwin) are in UNIX format.

Regards
--S. Micheloud

Quoting Stefan Matthias Aust <[hidden email]>:

> Is it just me, who's all these strange problems?  When I try to run
> scala.bat from latest sbaz, I get
>
>   C:\dev>c:\sbaz\bin\scala.bat -version
>   Das Sprungziel - add_cpath wurde nicht gefunden.
>   Das Sprungziel - add_cpath wurde nicht gefunden.
>   Das Sprungziel - add_cpath wurde nicht gefunden.
>   Das Sprungziel - add_cpath wurde nicht gefunden.
>
> (the call's target ":add_cpath" cannot be found)
>
> The really strange thing is, that if I edit the bat file and remove a
> few of the "#" in the line above the ":add_cpath" label, it works. So it
> seems that cmd.exe cannot find the label if there's a line that's too
> long. If it contains "rem " plus 69 "#", it works, but with 70 "#", it
> fails...
>
> Wait, I think, the problem is that the bat files have Unix-style line
> endings and not the DOS-style line endings which is presumably required
> by cmd.exe.
>
> --
> Stefan Matthias Aust

Re: Problem with scala.bat from sbaz

Oliver Enseling
I am runnign on Windows 2000 and I get the following problem when I try to run the latest version
of sbaz:

G:\tools\scala-2.1.3\bin>g:\tools\scala-2.1.3\bin\sbaz available
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sbaz/clui/CommandLine

G:\tools\scala-2.1.3\bin>scala -version
Scala runtime version 2.1.3 -- (c) 2002-2006 LAMP/EPFL
java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0-b64)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0-b64, mixed mode)

G:\tools\scala-2.1.3\bin>

Seem like sbaz.bat does not set up the classpath correctly.

Oliver Enselling.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Oliver Enseling <oenseling <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> I am runnign on Windows 2000 and I get the following problem when I try to run
the latest version

Found the problem.

In sbaz.bat, line 18 is:

  set _SCALA_HOME=%~dps0..

This should be changed to

  set _SCALA_HOME=%~dp0..

Regards,

Oliver.

Re: Problem with scala.bat from sbaz

Stéphane Micheloud
Hello Oliver,

Your problem comes from a Microsoft bug (see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833431) which has been
fixed in Windows XP SP2 and probably not in Windows 2000.

Entering "~dps0 +windows +2000" in Google will list many
reports on that issue; e.g.

   http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1317?page=all

Could you for example check if the following solution
works for you (I'll check it on WinXP) so we could modify
the Scala batch commands to run on more Windows versions ?!

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.msdos.batch.nt/msg/32a14ae26b10e5cf?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

Regards
--Stephane

Oliver Enseling wrote:

> Oliver Enseling <oenseling <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>I am runnign on Windows 2000 and I get the following problem when I try to run
>
> the latest version

> Found the problem.
>
> In sbaz.bat, line 18 is:
>
>   set _SCALA_HOME=%~dps0..
>
> This should be changed to
>
>   set _SCALA_HOME=%~dp0..
>
> Regards,
>
> Oliver.

Stephane Micheloud                                  Tel: +41 21 693 7593
EPFL - I&C - LAMP                                   Fax: +41 21 693 6660
IN BC 346
Station 14                                http://lamp.epfl.ch/~michelou/
CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland         mailto: [hidden email]