Eclipse plugin... scala/java mixed

nathansobo
Is there some way I'm not finding with the Eclipse plugin to intermix Scala
and Java sources? I can't seem to add the Scala and Java builders to the same
project.

Re: Eclipse plugin... scala/java mixed

sean.mcdirmid
Hi,

This is a well known limitation listed prominently in the release
notes (see the Issues section of the plugin documentation). The
problem is that we are "reusing" functionality from the JDT without
duplicating its code (and they use a lot of singleton objects). The
two drawbacks of this approach is that (1) we use internal APIs that
change between releases and (2) we can't mix Java and Scala source
code in the same project. I don't think (2) isn't as bad as (1)
because you can always your Java code and Scala code into two
different but dependent projects (create a project dependency then
add the project's exported JAR file using the build path
configuration window).

Even if we broke all our dependencies to the JDT, we would still have
some problems. The JDT also "assumes" that its the only one to output
class files (i.e., it can delete all the class files in the build
directory), which means it won't co-exist very easily with the SDT
(which also outputs class files). I don't think there are any plugins
that co-exist with the JDT and produce class files in the same build
directories. But if you know of any, please let me know!

Sean